Chapter 1 -Sassy's Silver Secret
- Describe Sassy's singling voice.
- How can you tell that Jasmine and Sassy are the very best of friends?
- What kind of relationship does Sassy have with her brother? Explain.
- Describe Sassy's "Sassy Sack."
- Where did she get it and why is it special to her?
- What kind of relationship does Sassy have with her sister? Explain.
- Describe Sabin's dog.
- In chapter one, what three hints does Sassy give about her secret?
Chapter 2 -Just Hum, Sassy
- Why doesn't Sassy's school have a band?
- Why is everyone excited today?
- What costume will the boys wear in the show?
- Describe the costume the girls will wear in the show.
- Why is Sassy upset about the beautiful costumes?
- Give three examples of Sassy helping people with items from her Sassy Sack
- How would you feel if you could not participate in a big show?
- What do you think is Sassy's secret?
Chapter 3-Dinner, with Piccolo for Dessert!
- What is the difference between what Sabin likes to eat, what Sadora likes to eat, and what Sassy eats for dinner?
- Why does Mr. Sanford tell the story about the Island of Boo?
- What is Sassy's secret?
- How did Sassy get interested in the piccolo?
- How did she get the instrument?
- Why does Sassy enjoy playing the piccolo?
- Why is the piccolo the perfect instrument for Sassy to play?
- Why didn't Sassy tell her friends about learning to play the piccolo?
- How does Sassy describe the sound of piccolo music?
- Do you think Sassy chose the piccolo because it fits in her sack? Explain.
Chapter 4-Stage Manager and Spruce Ups Coming
- Why doesn't Sassy check the list of kids who will be in the show?
- What job does Sassy get in the show?
- What are the stage manager's responsibilities?
- Why does Sassy decide that being stage manager is a pretty cool job?
- What does Sassy really want to do in the show?
- Describe Sassy's key chain.
- Describe how Sassy's school lunchroom does recycling.
- Mrs. Bell announces there is good news and bad news for the students. What is the good news? What is the bad news?
- Why is Mr. Wood excited about the principal's announcement?
Chapter 5-Construction Woes Decorated with Music
- What are some of the problems that are caused by the construction?
- As the friends are describing the instrument they would choose to play, why does Holly choose the piano?
- Why does Princess choose the harp?
- Why does Jasmine choose the trumpet?
- How does Sassy finally tell her friends about her piccolo?
- Where does she keep the piccolo and why do the girls think that's cool?
- Give two reactions of Sassy's friends to her playing?
Chapter 6-Rehearsals are Fun-Sort Of
- What is the title of the show?
- What is the theme of their show and what are they trying to tell people?
- Give two examples of how Sassy helps people with items from her sack.
- Give two examples of Sassy's organization skills.
- What is bothering Sassy about the costumes?
- Describe the songs "Let's Go Green" and "Pull the Plug." What will these songs teach about saving the planet?
- What is planned for the finale of the show?
- Describe Mr. Wood's tee shirt. What does his shirt tell you about him?
- Why is the construction a problem to their rehearsal?
- Describe Bike the construction worker and compare him to Mr. Wood.
- What does Sassy do while the other kids practice their songs?
- What do the children do during each rehearsal?
- What interrupts Carmelita's song?
- How do the students react to the fire alarm and the fire?
- What caused the fire?
- Why can't the students go back into the auditorium?
- What does horrible discovery does Sassy make?
Chapter 8-The Sassy Sack is Missing!
- How do you think Sassy feels about her missing bag?
- Have you ever lost something really important to you? Describe how you felt.
- Holly tries to tell Mr. Wood about Sassy and her purse, "She's just not Sassy without it." Describe what Holly means.
- How does Mr. Wood react to the news that Sassy can play the piccolo?
- Compare the reactions of the parents and the reactions of the students to the fire.
- Why can't Sassy's mother go into the auditorium and get Sassy's sack?
- Why do you think Sassy wants to call Grammy?
- How does her grandmother make her feel better?
- Why do Sassy's grandparents plan to come and see the show, even though Sassy is not in it?
- Draw a picture of Sassy alone and with her sack. Or draw a picture of the sack with Sassy.
Chapter 9-Lost, and Finally Found
- Why is Sassy up so early the next morning?
- Why can't Sassy's mom fix her hair properly?
- Sassy says, "I feel like those eggs this morning-all scrambled and runny and broken." Explain what she means.
- Compare how Sassy's sister and Sassy's brother deal with the loss of her sack.
- Everything else seems to be where it was left the day before. How do you think Sassy feels when her sack is not there?
- What does Sassy think about her purse being in the lost and found box?
- What is a "treasure trove?"
- What does Sassy say and how does she feel as she is asked to describe her purse and its importance to her?
- Sassy says, "I listen to the songs, but they sound gray to me today instead of bright and colorful." Why do you think she says that?
- Where had the sack been all day? How do you think Sassy feels when she gets it back?
Chapter 10-Piccolo Lesson
- What does Sassy sleep with her sack beside her?
- Define the word "embouchure." What language does it come from?
- Describe Sassy's piccolo lesson.
- How can you tell Mrs. Rossini is a good teacher?
- Why does Mrs. Rossini say that Sassy is "truly gifted?"
- Why does Sassy invite Mrs. Rossini to the show at school?
- What surprises Mrs. Rossini about Sassy and her piccolo playing at school?
- Why do you think Sassy asks Mrs. Rossini to teach her 'What a Wonderful World'?"
- Make a prediction: Will Mrs. Rossini come to see Sassy's show?
- How does an item from Sassy's sack help Mrs. Rossini?
- How do you think Sassy feels as she leaves her lesson? Write one sentence to defend your answer.
Chapter 11-Secrets of the Sassy Sack
- When Sassy wakes up the next morning, she feels good and she feels bad. Explain what is good about the day, and explain what still bothers Sassy.
- Give three examples to show that Sassy is very good at the stage manager job.
- Make a prediction: Carmelita keeps sneezing. What do you think this means for the success of the show?
- What is a "dress rehearsal?"
- How does Sassy feel as the other kids perform their parts on stage in the costumes for the first time?
- Sassy says, "Cue the video." What does that mean?
- How can you tell Mr. Wood is a good teacher? Give a specific example.
Chapter 12-A Trip to the Mall
- What does Sassy admit to Jasmine as they leave school?
- Who surprises Sassy as she gets into her mom's car?
- How do you know that Sassy and her grandmother are very close?
- Describe her grandmother's "Grammy Bag."
- What kinds of items are sold at "The Green Bean?"
- What is unusual about the lip gloss that the girls purchase?
- Describe the dresses that Sassy tries on.
- Why does Sassy choose the yellow dress?
- How does Sassy help her mom when the keys are locked in the car?
- Make a prediction: How successful will the show be?
Chapter 13-Almost Time for the Show
- Throughout the book, we hear the phrase, "keep the world green." What does that mean?
- What do you think will happen to the planted lip gloss box? Why is that a clever idea?
- Make a list. What does Sassy take with her that morning as she leaves fro school?
- What is the difference between the shows in which Sadora usually participates and Sassy's show? How does Sassy feel about that?
- What do people say, "break a leg" before a show?
- Define the word "extravaganza."
- How is Carmelita feeling? What might this predict for the show?
- How does Sassy feel about her picture in the program?
- Make a list of the photos that Sassy snaps before the show.
- What interrupts their final rehearsal?
Chapter 14-The Silver Secret Shines
- How does Mr. Wood react to the construction noise?
- Why do you think Bike decides to come to the show?
- What does Sassy see as she peeks through the curtains?
- How does the audience react to the children in costumes and the first song?
- Sassy says, "Holly dances like a leaf in motion." What does that mean?
- What is a "finale?"
- Why isn't Carmelita on stage? What does she tell Sassy?
- How does Sassy save the show with her piccolo?
- Why does Sassy give her roses to Carmelita?
- How do you think Sassy feels as she takes her bows?
Use the internet, or an encyclopedia, or books to find out more about the following:
A. Information to explore and discover.
B. Jobs to explore:
- Saving the earth and going green
- The gulf oil spill and its damage
- Eco-friendly products
- Organic products
- Energy-efficient light bulbs
- The piccolo in the orchestra
- Piccolo music
- School music performances
- School construction projects
C. Writing activities:
- Music teacher
- Ecology expert
- Recycling expert
- Construction worker
- Flower shop owner
- Write a poem or story about saving our planet.
- Write a story, with you as the main character, about you in a performance. It can be real or made up.
- Make up a story like Grammy tells. Draw a picture of something in your story.
- Write a poem or story about being jealous.
- Write a poem or story about shopping.
- Write a poem or story about family.
- Write a newspaper story about Sassy's show.
- Pretend you are Sassy and write a journal entry about being stage manager.
- Write a poem or story about the dangers of using up the earth's resources.
The Sassy Series